|Lois Anthony and Madelyn McCarthy Blair stand in front of the Masonic Building in 1936.|
|Adams Memorial Library sits on the corner of Chestnut St. and Ligonier St.|
It wasn't long before the growth in the library's popularity called for a new building. The Masonic Building could no longer hold the books and patrons. George Hamilton Adams, a railroad industrialist, developed a plan for the growing library in his hometown. Upon the deaths of Adams and his wife, his estate was to be given to the library with the approval of a tax levy.
The library as we know it was completed in the fall of 1954, and currently contains over 100,000 volumes and has topped 300,000 in annual circulation. In recent years we have established the Resource Center where educators and children can find useful tools to make learning more enjoyable. Three branch libraries were added. Unity Library was located in the Unity Township Municipal Building, but is now closed. Caldwell Memorial Library is located in the Derry Area High School. Your Neighborhood Bookmobile (MO) has aproximately 50 stops around the area to bring library service close to home. These branches are run through the Adams Memorial Library and offer a variety of educational and recreational materials.
The growth of Adams Memorial Library cannot be acknowledged without the help of Robert E. Reed. Upon his passing, Mr. Reed gave the bulk of his estate to the library and two other facilities. The library still uses this money today as a source of funding.
Adams Memorial Library is also funded through the State, Westmoreland County, Latrobe and surrounding townships, school districts, and private grants, including generous donations by the McFeely-Rogers Foundation, the McKenna Foundation and Arnold Palmer. Patron donations and memorial books also help the library maintain a collection that appeals to everyone.
Adams Memorial Library and its branches serve the populations of the City of Latrobe, Derry Township, Derry Borough, Donegal Township, Donegal Borough, Youngstown, and New Alexandria.